Buscar

Páginas

Day 13: Los Juimos


For May 20, 2011

Today, we got up, got packed, got ready and got some lunch at Pueblo Rico. I drank strawberry juice and ate ave a lo pobre, a grilled seasoned chicken breast topped with a sunny side up egg, nestled next to a pile of sauteed onions that sat next to yummy French fries. After that, we boarded the bus, luggage and all. It wasn't exciting. The reality of us leaving and returning home began to sink in. Though we missed the complete comforts of our homes, we also had come to admire Chile. I know that I will miss it, and I don't really want to go. There are many things that I wanted to have done before this day...so many more places to visit, gelato treats to eat, things to see, people to meet...This trip has been awesome. It's hard to believe that I was freaking out before this trip, and now, I wouldn't have a problem with staying. Once we all boarded, the driver pulled off, and we headed back to Santiago.

Of course, after being so short of sleep, I fell asleep after I took a few more pictures through the window by the seat on the bus. Like two times, I woke up, admired the views, took a picture or two, then went back to sleep. I woke up just as we were pulling up to the airport. Looking out of the window, I saw the spots where we had first gathered to get Chilean pesos, the spot where we had first boarded the bus that took us to Vina and the spot where we met our first Chilean street dog. Yeah, I was really sentimental.

The timing worked perfectly for us. We were able to make it through check-in, tsa and all that good stuff with enough time to grab food before boarding. At the airport, many of us had our lovely USM sweatshirts on. On my way to the gate, I was asked by an employee what USM represented and had a cool conversation with him. It was kind of weird to think that tomorrow I would sleep in my own bed. Soon we boarded the plane. Thankfully, Bert and I sat together on the plane so we wouldn't be stuck with strangers. The guy who was supposed to sit next to me was more really nice and it didn't bother him at all especially because the flight wasn't full. The 9 hours didn't feel that bad. Honestly, I expected worse.

In Atlanta, we made our way through customs, baggage claim/check and tsa again. I even had a quick Spanish conversation with the customs agent who congratulated me on my study abroad experience. Once everyone had made it through, we gave hugs and said our "see you"s. We parted ways. I headed to my gate - then I saw Jon, Chelsea, Burt, Pat and Chris again. After weeks of constantly being around these folks, it felt weird to be alone. I really began to think about all that I had gained on this trip.

Just like that our trip was over.

I was on the highway, headed to Culver's, then a church meeting.

Just like that.

Really, it's been awesome!!!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment