Buscar

Páginas

Day 12: Last Day at the University

For May 19, 2011 

With today being the last actual full day we have in Chile, we were free until noon. I got up a couple minutes before 10am so I could try to get a good warm shower. A group of us planned to leave around 10:30 so we could visit some local shops and the flea market again. At the market, I got more jewelry and a handcrafted napkin holder inscribed with Vina del Mar. I had a good time speaking in Spanish with the vendors, and one even recognized me from my previous visit. I was walking into the far end of the building. As I was walking past him, I heard "Good morning." It took a second to register, so a couple feet past him, I turned around as found him looking at me, smiling. I was caught off guard, but I smiled and greeted him likewise. That's cool.

Once we were all done, we headed to find a sports store so that Morgan could find soccer paraphernalia. That was unsuccessful. We all just headed to a bakery. There I looked at all the goods that looked delicious to me. I ended up getting a calzon roto: a fried dough treat like a donut with less sugar and a little powdered sugar, a rosca glace something like a less sweet cinnamon bun and a good that's a cross between a plain cake and a cookie with a shell of sprinkle covered chocolate on top - out of the three, this was my favorite.


Soon, we got back to the hotel and gathered so we could board the bus. We arrived at USM . First, we were going to eat lunch there. On our way to the cafeteria, we saw people in traditional costumes dancing in the quad. There we many onlookers. We all stopped and watched. There were three pairs of girls and guys dressed in green, yellow and red who represented Brazil through their outfits and traditional dance. After them were the students who did the same for Chile and cueca, the traditional dance here. Through talking with Connie, a student here we've all come to love, I found out that the dancers were there just as a way to break up the day while everyone took a break.


Soon, we went to have lunch. On the menu?? There was baked fresh fish (mine even still had fin and I believe there was an option of battered & fried fish) on a bed of seasoned white rice with 2 thick slices of tomato topped garnished with cilantro and a side of really yummy saffron seasoned white potatoes. From the selection of pepsi, 7up, Bilz and Pap (Chilean soda, cherry and papaya, respectively), I chose Bilz. There was a kind of chicken noodle soup (didn't get it), I think, and flan for dessert (didn't really like it). This was the best school lunch I'd had while there. Ryan, Marcus and I ended up sitting at a table packed with Chilean students. I tried to read the students' responses. I think that they were mostly just a little surprised to have foreigners at their table. Eventually, one girl asked about where we were from. Another girl asked us if we spoke Spanish. She wondered why we were here on foreign exchange as such a large group. Then we had a nice conversation with her about school. Everyone else in our group had returned their trays and were waiting outside. We chatted a little longer so we didn't abruptly end the conversation, but soon she said that she had to eat quickly so that she could study. We got up, followed suit by putting our trays away and stepped outside.


When we got outside the group began to go to a room where we would have a final lecture. It ended up not really being a lecture. Instead, it was an informative session about studying at USM for a longer period of time. To give her view and summary of her experience was a Belgian girl named Stephanie. She talked about her love for culture and language that brought her to Chile. She also mentioned her rule about never saying never or no to new opportunities. She gave us pointers and drew contrasts between home and her 2 months there. She kind of gave me more reason to study abroad for a longer time like a year. It's exciting and so unique. 


After that, we went outside and prepared to play soccer with the Chilean students. I kept suggesting that we play "soccetball" and game mixed between soccer and basketball. After waiting some time for a court to clear, we separated into teams. Sarah and I were on a team with the Chileans while Marcus, Ryan, Pat, Jon, Christine, Burt and Matt played on "Team Gringo."  It was pretty fun though I wasn't dressed for it. Then we switched to basketball. That's when most of group left with Jorge to go back to the hotel. I stayed to play basketball, but after I crappy pass to the other team I was permanently subbed out. :) Bypassers would stop and watch us. Overall, that was cool, and we made more Chilean associates who played with us. It was really fun. They were great athletes. 


Then Chris gathered us all up and sweaty, we began to head to the bus stop. Pat wanted to go to the school shop for merchandise so Connie took us. The shop had lots of actual school supplies. They did have coffee mugs and cardholders, but we all just decided to pass. Then we left. 


I got back and took a hot shower. I felt like just chilling afterward, but Morgan's energetic packing influenced me to do the same. I rolled and packed most of my stuff. I actually felt more tame and organized after that.


The entire group - Pitt and USM - had dinner together at Diego Pizza. Once we got there, we dived into the pizzas and beverage. It was nice to have a big group dinner. We all chatted it up and ate well. Between Burt, Ryan, Chris and I, there weren't many dull moments. Towards the end, Werner stood and gave us a short speech about our time in Chile. Then he and a couple students handed out these awesome royal blue USM sweatshirts. We really had hoped we'd get these. I will proudly wear mine! Next, Chris and Jorge gave our hosts various Pitt gifts. We all exchanged thank-yous.


We're going to go out to Hollywood Pub and a discoteca near the fancy Sheraton we didn't stay at. 


It is hard to believe that tonight is my last night! I've loved it here. I won't miss the hotel, but I'll miss the people, the freedom, the excitement, the late nights, the exploration and the utter beauty of the past 2 weeks.


I'm lovin it.


~Briana

0 comments:

Post a Comment